Followers

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Networking is a full-time job!

Okay, this is another bear with me moment but I do have a point....

Lets start with my beef's with Amazon.

I have had about 20 comments posted by me that have been deleted. I have no idea why. I wasn't swearing, threatening, or anything! The best I have been able to come up with for a reason is this, I used words like stupidity, idiocy, ect. in the posts. But, why would that be moderated out and posts where someone was threatening bodily harm to people were fine? I am so confused!

There are all of these rules on Amazon forums that aren't posted too. Especially as an author! I think twice before I hit the publish button for every comment that I make. If I am joking I put a smily face, if I am being sarcastic, I had  better note that. It is kind of exhausting...BUT, it is also my choice. With Tia's Folly just days away from being 100% edited and ready to be splashed into all available markets, I made the choice to join in on the forums and begin "networking"...whatever the hell that means.

Any my BIGGEST complaint? I can't even find the Amazon forums from their website! I have to google it! From their webpage, it is like finding a needle in a haystack! Isn't it supposed to be easy to find a forum? Apparently Amazon doesn't think so. To manage my kindle books, author page, see the forums, and look at my book for sale, I have four different websites I have to go to! That is just ridiculous!

Goodreads.

I haven't had as much experience on that site. First, I got a normal account through them, and then I had to apply for an authors account. That wasn't so bad...it only took about 12 hours for the author account to be approved before I was editing my author profile.

And then I made my way to the goodread groups and forums. They are MUCH easier to find than Amazon's BUT they are much harder to navigate too! I had no idea I should have been playing with/in/around these forums for months to get to know the rules and how to work them.

The point?

I had no idea the networking was going to be so complicated! Goodreads sends every new author a link to a page telling them the appropriate way to interact and promote their books. That's cool and very helpful...and in there they have a link for advertising. You click the link and it brings you to yet ANOTHER form to fill out. You are supposed to tell them how much you have every month for advertising....

Between advertising, networking, writing, editing, taking care of my kids, and my house...Well, lets put it this way, I am eating chips and dip for lunch because I don't feel like I have the time to cook just me something! I have split my day up so that I can accomplish all of this...

I get up at 7:30-8am and get my kids ready and off to school, I come home and sleep until 12-1pm. I get us, check the online forums, make coffee, clean the house, and go get my kids by 3:25pm, I check the forums using my phone while I wait for them to come out of the school. Then it is time for homework, and check online forums again. Make dinner, clean up dinner mess, get kids ready for bed, spend a little time talking to the hubby. Finally, I put everyone to bed, sit down, check the forums again...around 10pm, once everyone is sleeping, I start writing. I try to write until 1-3am, and then I go to bed to start the cycle all over again.

Why is it split like that? Because, I can't write a meaningful sentence with my kids, husband, cats interrupting me every 30 seconds. I have three solid book ideas that I want to get too but I can't until this series is DONE...and I am so close...

I have been told that as an SPA I HAVE to network...but, it takes so much bloody time! If the forums were easier to navigate, I would get through it quicker, and I would have more time to devote to stuff like....
Making fresh coffee...mmm
Making lunch for me,
Writing,
Blogging,
Cleaning....
Okay, if you haven't figured it out yet....I would have time for more of everything if I wasn't struggling with these silly forums!

Love the people I have met though...one lady in particular....***sniff, sniff*** she brought tears to my eyes with the kind things she has said to me. I can't wait for her to read my book. Even if she hates it, I will just feel so...I don't know...privilaged that someone like her was willing to read my book.

Okay, I am done with the gripe fest for the day...I have an hour before I have to go get the kiddo's  so I should try to do something productive...Like plan dinner for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment