Followers

Friday, October 26, 2012

The start to a long road

Well, I was supposed to have my book back by today. It was supposed to be fully edited and polished and ready to go...but, I supposed I would rather have it back edited good verses on time.

I am using the extra time to learn how not to be a BBA (badly behaving author). Because I have taken this time, I now know that it would be really bad form to click on the "want to read" link, on Goodreads, on my book.

It is like a neon sign every time I look at my author profile. It dares me to click on it, tempting me, seducing me. But, I must stand strong...I must avoid giving into the temptation to do the easiest thing in the world. I absolutely cannot click on that stupid button that is taunting me relentlessly!

Anyhow, I have signed up for multiple groups. I'm trying to get into this networking thing...but my mind keeps going back to that button!

I understand how a BBA comes about! It is so tempting to just ask people to click that link, to review my book, to make it so that every time I see it, it doesn't say....
Tia's Folly : The Path to Destiny (Book #1)by
0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 avg rating — 0 ratings— published 2012

The worst part is this...It isn't even READY for reviews! I don't have the new version back from the editor, I don't have a book that I want edited...but that 0.00 rating thing is like the bully in middle school. Every time I turn around there it is!

Ignore it Elly. Ignore the bully button!

Sigh, this is going to be a very long, long road. Isn't it? Learning all of the do's and don'ts of a new SPA (self-published author). One would think the list is pretty short...
1. Write a good book.
2. Have it edited.
3. Market it.
4. Be nice.

The list is actually like a million miles long! And everyone seems to have a different understanding of what those rules are...Sigh...I will figure it out. Somehow, I will wade through the murky waters and someday I will find the clear waters.

I still can't believe how lucky I was on my first foray into the forums. I have a solid group of people that I am sure will keep me in line :D And, I can't ask for more than that...

Except for the option for ME to click that damn button to go away! If it is a no-no for an author to click it, why is it even an option....Or am I understanding something wrong again!!!

I can almost here that button (Want to read button on goodreads) laughing in my head...it would be so easy...just a simple click of the mouse...

But NO! I will be a good girl...

One has to wonder if this is exaggerated because I am quitting smoking. Day 17 and counting...and dear God do I want a cigarette! So, maybe I am using that button to ignore the voice in the back of my heading begging for a cigarette. Who knows...either way, this is the start of a long road for me. Someday, maybe this will become a worth while venture, maybe I will fail. Either way, at least I can say I tried for my dream...all I have ever really wanted to be was a writer. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment