Followers

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

BBA group Versus STGRB

In July of 2012, I chose to go onto Amazon Forums and start to promote my books. I was GREEN! To find the forums, I literally had to google Amazon Forums....Embarrassing, right?

Finally finding my way there, I started to try to self promote. I posted a few comments, promoted my book, and forgot about it for about a month.

Then, I tried again. And the first thing I did was run into M.T. Dismuke. He had written a thread basically accusing readers of being book hoarders and was saying that if you get a free book you OWE the author a review. I disagreed with him and tried to make him understand that the readers are the customers...they are always right. Besides that, when you give out a product for FREE, you can't expect anything in return. I immediately attracted the attention of members of the BBA group AND STGRB.

Now, I have been a member of the BBA group for over a year, and I have been attacked multiple times by STGRB.

As a quick side note, I have to say this... I have this belief that just because I am online, doesn't mean I should allow myself to behave in a manner that I wouldn't behave if I were face to face with these people. So, for my new years resolution, I swore to ignore STGRB...

AND THEN, a not so helpful person decided to try to help me out with STGRB...and I got mud slung in my face for it. If I had actually done what they believe I did...I would have deserved it...however, I didn't do it...but it took me months to get over being embarrassed that anyone thought I would be that stupid.

I managed to drop off of their (STGRB's) radar...and I am hoping to stay there....But, I have advice for the new authors out there.

1. Stay away from both groups.

The BBA group is full of spiteful, condescending reviewers who believe they are God of Amazon and Goodreads. Not everyone is like that in this group...I like MANY of the people there. But, you know what they say about one bad apple. There should never be a group dedicated to nothing more than bashing people. They DO have threads for acknowledging well behaving authors...but those threads feel like they sit idle compared to the bashing that goes on there.

The STGRB staff (or whatever they want to be called) are full of ignorant little twits who like to believe every lie they are told. The amount of shaming and 'outing' of innocent people is just wrong. I actually think they believe they are doing the right thing. I think they MEAN to be doing the right thing...but when an author comes to you crying bully AFTER they edit all of their comments, that should be a red flag. Not for these people...they are as bad as the editors of the Enquirer. ELVIS'S ALIEN BABY WAS SPOTTED??? FRONT PAGE NEWS!!! RUN WITH IT!!!

2. Never respond to a reviewer...even if they invite it. Not everyone will okay with it, and if the wrong person see's it...well, let's just say it isn't pretty...

3. Find groups that want to build you up...not tear you down.

4. Ignore the drama, and stay away from it.

I know, I know...it's so tempting to add your two cents. But trust me...the thirteen months of being attacked and followed by STGRB (so far) isn't worth it. The attacks by STGRB followers, the threats, ect... It just isn't worth it. Stay away from it.

5. If you are attacked by STGRB, the BBA group is your only hope. If you are attacked by the BBA group, STGRB is your only hope....

Unless you are really smart and you just STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD and do nothing more to incite either group.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck. If you can avoid these TWO groups, do so. They will become the bane of your existence if you let yourself get caught up in either one of them.

I, for one, have decided to do my best to cut my ties to both groups. I will not apologize to either group...But, if any of them read this I do have a message for them.

STGRB.
     Not every story is as cut and dry as you would like to believe it is. M.T. Dismuke is a great example of this. He really did do everything that the BBA group claimed he had done and his book really does suck. I tried to read it...it needs serious help. M.T. lied about how things actually went down, and I have a feeling this has happened more than once to you...screen caps really are a lovely thing...and M.T. isn't the bullied victim he would have you believe he is. I was put on your list because of M.T., and then M.T. spent the next few months singling me out and attacking me for some reason.
     I have spent part of the last year being angry at the people who run your site. I'm not dealing with the drama anymore. I never did anything to deserve your ire and I hope in the future you will see that I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

BBA Goodreads Group
   Thank you for guiding me this last year. You taught me the do's and don'ts for new authors on the internet. Unfortunately, I learned most of the don'ts by reading about an author who had been singled out by members of your group. That much negativity in one place breeds more and more negativity. I can't see belonging to a group that was created solely for the purpose of bashing people...even those who deserved it.
   I readily admit to joining in on the bashing for a time, and allowing myself to be drawn into the negativity. I just don't have the energy for it anymore. It isn't worth it. I would rather spend my time writing and talking to people who actually care about my writing and my future as a writer.

I hope from this day forward that I won't have a reason to ever blog about either of these groups again. I hope that these groups take my farewell and understand that I am tired of the negativity that both of these groups spew.

Goodbye STGRB, Goodbye BBA group. I hope that any new author that runs across my blog sees this and learns their lesson before it is too late. Both of you already have too many members. The only way this negativity is going to end is if you two (bickering children) virtually shake each other's hands and give it up. I don't see that happening, but it would be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment